January 23, 2013

The Next Big Thing

pinterest: tempus regina
A few weeks ago Anne Elisabeth Stengl (who, for the information of newer Scribbles readers, submitted to the grueling process of an interview here way back in September 2011) asked me if I would be interested in participating in an author blog hop.  The idea is to answer a series of questions regarding our "next big thing" - in this case, my work-in-progress.  It seemed a splendid opportunity to introduce Tempus Regina, though I doubt it will be much less nebulous at the end.

Anne Elisabeth posted her own answers last week, featuring her Summer 2013 release Dragonwitch - which I, for one, am eagerly expecting.  This novel will be the fifth in her dramatic fairy-tale series Tales of Goldstone Wood.  There aren't any spoilers, so if you haven't seen the post already, be sure to take a peek and do some ooh-ing and aah-ing.  If you've come from her blog already, then welcome!  And may I introduce...

the next big thing
1. What is the working title of your book? 

Tempus Regina.

2. Where did the idea come from for the book? 

 I think this was one of those stories whose title came to mind first, which is pretty rare for me. I had scraps of other ideas floating around in my mind—lost kingdoms and civilizations and curses and doom and all that jazz—and a few of them appended themselves to the title. Developing it into an actual story was, and is, somewhat slow going.

3. What genre does your book fall under? 

 Primarily fantasy, but to be technical, I would call it historical fantasy.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? 

I’m not sure I’ve been rubbing shoulders with the characters long enough to pinpoint actors for them! On demand, however, I’ll do my best. Regina is a relatively easy choice: Katie McGrath would be little short of perfect. As far as looks go, Chris Hemsworth is not very far off how I envision the Assassin, but personality-wise I don’t see it working at all. David Tennant, on the other hand, has most of the personality and few of the necessary looks. I foresee this being a tricky issue.

I confess, I want Jeremy Brett for the Fisherman—which is sad, because Brett passed away some time ago. As a necessary second choice, I would cast Joaquin Phoenix—if he were younger. I’m always about ten years behind the times.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? 

Centuries out of time, Regina Winters sets out to return to her own era and the brother who is her charge—no matter the cost to herself or to the world around her.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 

Represented by an agency is the goal.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 

It’s a work in progress! I only properly began in November 2012, but I am currently a raw 80,000 words in.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 

As far as books I’ve read go, I would say C.S. Lewis’ Space Trilogy, particularly That Hideous Strength; Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising; and perhaps some Stephen Lawhead. Judging only by hearsay and back-cover blurbs, I would take an educated guess and say Mary Stewart’s Arthurian Saga and maybe Marion Zimmer Bradley, though I don’t intend to read the latter to find out. However, I tend not to read books that might be similar until after I write my first draft, so as to avoid copy-catting as much as possible. I’ll get back with you at a later date.

9. Who or What inspired you to write this book? 

One of the most important elements of inspiration was a story my sister dabbled in years ago; she never finished, which caused me much chagrin, but the general idea stuck with me and eventually resurfaced. I think I was also inspired by a documentary—I forget what it was called—that I watched years ago on the discovery of underwater antiquities; that is something of enduring interest. A more recent, and more massive, blast of inspiration came from the realization that Tempus Regina was already linked to a novel Jenny is now working on (you can read about it by following the link to her blog below); though the connection was quite unconscious on both our parts, it has been extremely helpful to discover that these two novels are, in a way, “book ends” of one another.

To a lesser degree, I’ve been inspired by pocket-watches, Sherlock Holmes, ancient and medieval science, legends, Howl’s Moving Castle, a heap of music, and a great dose of white phosphorus.

jennifer freitag & faith king are participating in today's blog hop

&

I also tagged mirriam neal.  Keep an eye out! 

9 comments:

  1. "...lost kingdoms and civilizations and curses and doom and all that jazz..." Sounds like just my cup of tea. While that novel I started years ago was never meant to be, I'm glad it inspired you to write this potential-packed piece of fiction. I'm looking forward to its completion and the many months of agonizing over writing it. Good hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post a lot. I am starting to feel ever so much the excitement you're having as you progress in Tempus Regina, Abigail. Keep persevering please ;). I like the sound of this story.

    Jeremy Brett. Yay... but that photo link of him, I honestly would not have recognized him if you'd not said so. What scene is that from I wonder? The chosen actress for Regina is perfect I think... :).

    Abigail, Tempus Regina sounds more fascinating and intriguing every time I hear something else about it! And you are a 'mere raw 80,000 words into it'... ha, well, I do understand, but I do not feel the need to rebuke you, for to write a full 80,000 words in the space of a few months is a gigantic undertaking in my humble opinion. It's taken me over four years to get that far in any one story. I tip my hat off to you, and I look forward to hearing more about 'lost kingdoms and civilizations and curses and doom and all that jazz...' myself within the coming months. Better still, to get to read one of your books... *gigantic sigh*

    How is That Hideous Strength an inspiration for your story, I wonder indeed. But maybe I shouldn't. It will be a little like spilling out the secret too soon I suppose. I am curious though!! And that last sentence about pocket-watches, Sherlock Holmes etc, etc, and then white phosphorus has bemused and piqued my interest beyond reckoning.

    Isn't it wonderful when something your sister wrote is the seed for inspiration? I know in a very simple way, a little composition by my sister Sarah which she wrote for her English course tossed at me the idea of writing The Crown of Life Sisters are wonderful. Enough said I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool cool cool! I am so curious to see how yours and Jenny's stories fit together...I've been puzzling and puzzling about it in my head and obviously have got nowhere. You are mystifying. Which is probably the point. :D

    And good grief, girl! "A raw 80k words in?"!!! Sheesh. I wouldn't call that *raw* by any measure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very interesting! Hope you can finish it soon! 80k is a good start, for your length. Would probably be an end for me! :) Off to Jenny's blog!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Abigail, I by the way removed the music badge from my blog, just so you'd know. Do you think access to Fullness of Joy is easier for you now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - We're in this together! ...Until something terrible looms ahead, and then I'm bailing out.

    Joy - I would have pegged that Brett photo as Hamlet, myself, but I can't see that he ever played in a production of that. Oh, and I'll give your blog another try and see if it works this time. Thanks!

    All and Sundry - The reference to my status as a "raw" 80k words was more descriptive of the state of those words than the amount itself. They're raw because, well, they were written during NaNo. That says it all, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Abigal, do you mind if I use this "interview" on my own blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah Ellen - Glad you enjoyed it! The interview didn't actually originate with me; I was merely tagged by Anne Elisabeth. I'm not sure who began the series, and I'm afraid I'm not well enough aware of the blog hop rules to say yea or nay. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for being honest, Abigail, and no problem!
    By the way I just want to say your books always sound very interesting. I haven't been able to read any of them yet, but I hope to at some point. I remember hearing about your first book on The Lion's Call and admiring how someone so young was dedicated enough to get a book written and published. :) Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

 
meet the authoress
I am a writer of historical fiction and fantasy, scribbling from my home in the United States. More importantly, I am a Christian, which flavors everything I write. My debut novel, "The Soldier's Cross," was published by Ambassador Intl. in 2010.
find me elsewhere
take my button

Followers

Follow by Email

published writings






The Soldier's Cross: Set in the early 15th Century, this is the story of an English girl's journey to find her brother's cross pendant, lost at the Battle of Agincourt, and of her search for peace in the chaotic world of the Middle Ages.
finished writings






Tempus Regina:Hurled back in time and caught in the worlds of ages past, a Victorian woman finds herself called out with the title of the time queen. The death of one legend and the birth of another rest on her shoulders - but far weightier than both is her duty to the brother she left alone in her own era. Querying.
currently writing



Wordcrafter: "One man in a thousand, Solomon says / will stick more close than a brother. / And it's worthwhile seeking him half your days / if you find him before the other." Justin King unwittingly plunges into one such friendship the day he lets a stranger come in from the cold. Wordcount: 124,000 words

Bookmarks In...

Search This Blog