January 10, 2013

Snippets of January

pinterest: tempus regina
I don't know that it is time, but it feels like a good time to continue Katie's "Snippets of Stories" meme; it appears I haven't participated since October.  November was so full of hasty scribblings that it seemed silly to post any of them, in the first part of December I took a break, and in the latter part I was getting the feel of Tempus Regina all over again.  (What am I saying?  I'm still getting the feel of it.)  There wasn't a good moment for snippets.

I've done a little more solid writing in January, tucked in around query letters and the like, and feel rather more capable of pulling together some semblance of a post.  Also, at some point Tempus Regina will join the list on the "My Books" page, and in a couple of weeks I plan on introducing this work-in-progress properly with a few questions-and-answers.  The story should be kicking around Scribbles quite a bit.

snippets for january


At the stable she turned, sweeping the hills again with a strange twist of desperation, as if it were the last time she would ever see them. They were beautiful, darkness and light sprawling together in a snapshot of their classic struggle, wild upthrusts and sudden drops of land as riotous as a woman’s emotions against an unchanging sky.

- tempus regina

Drawing herself up and looking around her more narrowly, she found he had set up a precarious structure of birch twigs and a rod that passed over the fire, dangling a small bronze pot above the blaze. Presently the whole construction would give way and the Assassin would have to save it from the flames, but for the moment it was picturesque. “As good as a tea kettle,” she murmured, a witch’s face passing through her memory.

- tempus regina

She looked up at him through her lashes and, parting her lips with an effort, said, “My ring. I want it back.” 

He looked back at her and she thought momentarily he was startled; then his face broke into another smile, quite charming (but a lion’s smile is charming, too, in its own way), and he twisted the blue ring off his own finger to put it on Regina’s left hand. “I see you can keep pace with me.” 

“I intend to." 

- tempus regina

A blast of wind came roaring up the hillside then and smacked them both, taking the air from Regina’s lungs and flipping the Assassin’s cloak up and over his head before racing past. She fought for breath while he fought down the blue folds, and in the midst of it all Regina could not help but think that his predicament was bitterly comic.

- tempus regina

“It seems half the elements came out to mock you tonight.”

- tempus regina

His face was white as the underside of a fish, eyes beginning to glaze; it would not have surprised her if he suddenly went belly-up and left her to kill the Saxons on her own.

- tempus regina

He set his heels into his mare’s flanks and brought her to an uneven trot, striking out first for the glow of the desert-home. Regina ground her teeth and hissed between them, and the Assassin, goading Epona to follow, called the man a name she would have blushed to repeat herself. 

- tempus regina

7 comments:

  1. Oh mercy. It's not fair. The Assassin is too cool. Just too cool. I love him. GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belly up! That passage still makes me laugh - she has a knack for being so inappropriately amused by things at the worst possible moments. I loved your brief description of the landscape (of course!), and the two elements piece, and I screamed over the ring piece. Don't know why. Those two are such great protagonists and they are always clashing off each other. One wonders if they won't wear the iron so sharp that it snaps away altogether...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is why I added The Soldier's Cross to my to-read list. :) These are terrific! My favorites were the birch twigs and the blast of wind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, that is a God given gift you have! Your writing never ceases to amaze me - great snippets, great voice and style of writing. You make me want to go and improve my own...which is so simple.
    High five!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid collection you've put before us! I know you confess to having some trouble with Tempus Regina, but I think the quality of your writing has definitely matured with this new story. I love each snippet for a different reason, but I particularly enjoyed the first and the one about the elements. Your description seems to leap off the page like a flame. Oh, and the Assassin is now my favorite character. Such a clash of dark and light in one man cannot go without mention. :)

    Bravo on an excellent round of snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - It tickles me that you think so! I'm fond of him; he's an easy fellow to write. He's no gentleman, but hopefully that will only make him more endearing.

    Jenny - It must be tiring to keep up such an amount of sparring. How do they keep it up on such little sleep?

    Elisabeth - I hope you enjoy "The Soldier's Cross" when you get to read it! I find my writing changes significantly with each story I write; it would be interesting to compare these two.

    Becca - Aw, thank you! No matter what small trials and quibbles I have with my writing from day to day, it always seems to me a great blessing to be a writer. I couldn't ask for anything different.

    Elizabeth Rose - Your encouragement is very, very much appreciated. There always is and always will be room for improvement - a great deal of improvement! - but I think that is part of the charm; I don't believe it would be as thrilling to go from one story to the next if there weren't the hope of doing a little better. And it's doubly cheering to move further up and in with writers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abigail, firstly, I so wanted to comment on your last post (brilliant it was!) but I got so caught up with birthday preparations and then the party itself that only now, this hot Sunday afternoon with a cool fan breezing behind me in my bedroom do I have a moment to put fingers to keys ;). I've missed you and your posts something fierce!

    Now, onto this post. I really can't find a word to say how dearly I loved every diamond snippet of Tempus Regina you have placed before us today. Really. And I can't choose a single favourite because each blazed in amazing colours and had wondrous charm, drama, wit and beauty of description. I thought it would be hard to love Tempus Regina and want to see where it will go with quite the same passion as I have had for White Sail's Shaking and Wordcrafter simply because the story seems so peculiar and evasive (but isn't there a particular charm to that?) but I have quite changed my mind... now that I see these:

    She looked up at him through her lashes and, parting her lips with an effort, said, “My ring. I want it back.”

    He looked back at her and she thought momentarily he was startled; then his face broke into another smile, quite charming (but a lion’s smile is charming, too, in its own way), and he twisted the blue ring off his own finger to put it on Regina’s left hand. “I see you can keep pace with me.”

    “I intend to."


    (I loved the lion part!)

    A blast of wind came roaring up the hillside then and smacked them both, taking the air from Regina’s lungs and flipping the Assassin’s cloak up and over his head before racing past. She fought for breath while he fought down the blue folds, and in the midst of it all Regina could not help but think that his predicament was bitterly comic.

    (Whomever the Assassin is, he sounds great! And Regina too... I think she's delightful in the way she finds the comic in the dread and serious things!)

    “It seems half the elements came out to mock you tonight.”

    Gah!! Well done, Abigail, I love them soooo much. And off I go now to write you an e-mail...

    P.S. I took note to the 'query letters'; hope all the best with it!!

    ReplyDelete

 
meet the authoress
I am a writer of historical fiction and fantasy, scribbling from my home in the United States. More importantly, I am a Christian, which flavors everything I write. My debut novel, "The Soldier's Cross," was published by Ambassador Intl. in 2010.
find me elsewhere
take my button

Followers

Follow by Email

published writings






The Soldier's Cross: Set in the early 15th Century, this is the story of an English girl's journey to find her brother's cross pendant, lost at the Battle of Agincourt, and of her search for peace in the chaotic world of the Middle Ages.
finished writings






Tempus Regina:Hurled back in time and caught in the worlds of ages past, a Victorian woman finds herself called out with the title of the time queen. The death of one legend and the birth of another rest on her shoulders - but far weightier than both is her duty to the brother she left alone in her own era. Querying.
currently writing



Wordcrafter: "One man in a thousand, Solomon says / will stick more close than a brother. / And it's worthwhile seeking him half your days / if you find him before the other." Justin King unwittingly plunges into one such friendship the day he lets a stranger come in from the cold. Wordcount: 124,000 words

Bookmarks In...

Search This Blog