February 23, 2012

Beautiful People - Charlie Bent

Guess who! Yes, the Beautiful People questions are back for February. I debated whether to do this round, but then Jenny went and posted hers and declared that I was soon to post mine, so here I am. Last month I did Tip; this month I am returning to Charlie. As The White Sail's Shaking draws toward a close, Charlie is more and more involved in each chapter and thus has been occupying the greater portion of my brain. I hope, therefore, that you won't mind seeing him again.

charlie bent, midshipman


1. If your character could be played by an actor, who would it be?

Jeremy Sumpter, if he would go to Neverland himself and stop growing up. I fixed on him after seeing "Peter Pan" (2003), but of course that movie was made nine years ago and Sumpter is now in his twenties. However, he still has a young-looking face and I believe he might be able to pull it off.

2. Does your character have a specific theme song?

There are a number of songs that remind me of Charlie, some more directly than others. I remember I picked Owl City's "To the Sky" and Andrew Peterson's "After the Last Tear Falls" some time ago. "Streets of London" by Blackmore's Night also brings Charlie to mind, although he has never been to London.

3. What's his worst childhood memory?

"I...had a fever. Walked a long way."

4. If your character had a superpower, what would it be?

Perhaps the ability to turn anything he touched into ice, ala Frozone. I never saw much use for the power, myself, but it is the only one I can see Charlie having.

5. If your character [wrecked] on an island with a bunch of other people, how could your character help the group survive?

A second question arises from this one, and that is whether or not he would want to help them survive. As to that, I suppose that, in a detached way, he probably would. However, Charlie has a great deal of the aristocrat in him and is not one to throw himself into any kind of brute labor. I could see him spending the entire time working out the island's exact location and its physical properties. It wouldn't help his companions, but if ever they were rescued it would be interesting information to have.

6. Is he married? If not, does he someday wish to be?

Charlie is fifteen, and he has no thoughts of matrimony at the present.

7. What is a cause he would die for?

Perhaps as telling a question would be, what is a cause he would kill for. But at any rate, I think one answer - there could be several - is that Charlie would die for honor. It would be stupid and he would know it was stupid, but he would do it, all the same.

8. Would he rather die fighting valiantly, or quietly at home?

Fighting. Or at least, he would like to think he would rather die fighting.

9. If a stranger walked up to him and told him he is the child of the prophesy, would he believe them?

If it happened in Boston, ten to one this stranger is going to smell heavily of alcohol. In that case, Charlie would remove them from his way with a wary smile, brush off his gloves carefully, and go on with whatever he was doing. Were the stranger of the darkly-cloaked, mysterious-Druid sort, straight out of legend and not to be denied, I imagine they would still find Charlie a difficult case. He would not like to be a child of the prophesy, and what he does not like he does not accept with good grace.

10. Do they prefer the country, or the city?

The city, if it comes down to a choice between those two alone. Charlie had enough of plantation-life when he was growing up and prefers the bustle and hustle of a place like Boston, although ships and the sea are his first love.

14 comments:

  1. Charlie Bent is JEREMY SUMPTER? That's it - my heart just flew out the window toward wherever Charlie is. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I love Jeremy Sumpter!! I did one as well on my blog. I did Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I think I would love Charlie. You must publish this book, Abigail, you simply must.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirriam - You make me laugh. Enough said.

    Gabrielle - Glad you liked it! I just read your answers, and Anita sounds like a very intriguing character.

    Ashley - Thank you! Publication is the goal. Well, right now the goal is to finish the novel, but after that it will be publication...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does one say 'The fact that I make you laugh makes me happy?' ...Rhetorical. =)
    ~ Mirriam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie sounds so sophisticated and cool, I love his character! Can't wait to read The White Sails Shaking =D.

    Those beautiful people interviews sound so good, I think I'm going to try doing it for one of my characters! I think I might go with the character of Flavius (the antagonist), though maybe I should rather do my protagonist, Valerius or Claudia...

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. where did you get the interview from originally, Abigail?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy, here is a link to one of the girl's who monthly hosts Beautiful People. It would certainly be interesting to see your own results to it. There should be a whole backlog of questions on the girl's site, so that if you really feel like posting an enormous diatribe answering all the questions, there is nothing stopping you.

    I can just see Charlie confronted by the Druid-in-the-black-cap ("He was standing over you with a knife, George!"), and I can just see the Druid ripping out his long, glossy, silver hair in acute frustration. Shining protagonist of the arch-typical other-world fantasy Charlie is not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (...I would like the put my spelling errors down to the length of the day and the busyness of it, but it might be more accurate to blame it on my lack of editing.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Joy! Charlie is a fun character to write; the story wouldn't be the same without him. If you do manage to post your own Beautiful People answers, I would love to read them - especially if you do the newly-renamed Valerius.

    Jenny, "I hope you get mugged by the man in the black cape!" I really can't see Charlie taking well to a fantasy world; the idea is just too incongruous. I think the Druid got the wrong person. I mean, even Druids make mistakes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joy, as Jenny mentioned, you can find the BP archive by clicking here. :) We've been doing it for almost a year now so there's quite a collection of questions there for you to choose from. (Considering we do 10 every month, I'd say there's about 100+ questions there, come to think of it.)

    Abigail, I absolutely love the name Charlie. Charlie himself sounds like a fascinating character. He strikes me as a character who is so stuck-up that you can't help but love him, though if that's not the way you intended him, feel free to correct me.

    I especially loved your answer to the island question. And To the Sky by Owl City is one of my favorite songs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're pretty much bang-on, Sky. Charlie is very stuck-up and it drives Tip crazy, but at the same time, I can't help but find him a loveable fellow. He would probably be frustrating beyond belief in real life, though.

    "To the Sky" was the first Owl City song I listened to, and it's still one of my favorites. Of course the lyrics are talking about owls, which Charlie is not, so it's more the tune that reminds me of him than anything else.

    Thanks for commenting, Sky, and for helping to put these questions together. They're so much fun; I look forward to them each month.

    ReplyDelete

 
meet the authoress
I am a writer of historical fiction and fantasy, scribbling from my home in the United States. More importantly, I am a Christian, which flavors everything I write. My debut novel, "The Soldier's Cross," was published by Ambassador Intl. in 2010.
find me elsewhere
take my button

Followers

Follow by Email

published writings






The Soldier's Cross: Set in the early 15th Century, this is the story of an English girl's journey to find her brother's cross pendant, lost at the Battle of Agincourt, and of her search for peace in the chaotic world of the Middle Ages.
finished writings






Tempus Regina:Hurled back in time and caught in the worlds of ages past, a Victorian woman finds herself called out with the title of the time queen. The death of one legend and the birth of another rest on her shoulders - but far weightier than both is her duty to the brother she left alone in her own era. Querying.
currently writing



Wordcrafter: "One man in a thousand, Solomon says / will stick more close than a brother. / And it's worthwhile seeking him half your days / if you find him before the other." Justin King unwittingly plunges into one such friendship the day he lets a stranger come in from the cold. Wordcount: 124,000 words

Bookmarks In...

Search This Blog