January 25, 2012

Beautiful People - Tip Brighton

After a hiatus which seemed much longer than it probably was, Georgie and Sky have returned with their Beautiful People series. I have already done Tip, but as he is my main character and The White Sail's Shaking is on the mind (approximately seven more chapters left until the end!), I have decided to put January's list of questions to him. Enjoy!

tip brighton, midshipman


1. If his house burned down and he were left with nothing but the clothes on his back, what would he do? Where would he go?

Tip's first reaction would be total shock, and then he would probably be sick; he tends to be or at least to feel ill in the wake of any sudden news, good or bad. As for where he would go, considering that he considers the Enterprize at least as much his home as the house in Ryton, he would go back to sea and try starting over.

2. Is he happy with where he is in life, or would he like to move on?

He is happier with his position now than he has ever been before; he likes the Enterprize and takes pride in serving under Decatur, and he has purpose in his life for the first time. If he had the ability to go back and keep his family from placing him in the navy, he wouldn't do it. At the same time, however, there are things about his present position that he would change if he could.

3. Is he well-paid?

Tip gets a midshipman's wages - that is to say, not much.

4. Can he read?

Oh, he can read. He is perfectly capable of understanding the words on the page. Does he read is an entirely different matter.

5. What languages does he speak?

English. And...English. Tip was never much good at languages (he was never much good at anything in school), though he can read a smattering of Greek and Latin and speak a few words of French. None of these are of any help to him on the Enterprize.

6. What is his biggest mistake?

Just one? That would be difficult, as Tip seems always to be making mistakes. He has a tendency to stick his nose into other people's business, to land himself in situations where he is not wanted, and to try to correct things and thereby make them worse. And the one time he tried not to do all these things, it resulted in a man's death. I believe Tip would say that that was his biggest mistake.

7. What did he play with most as a child?

Tip has always been most comfortable out-of-doors; inside he is too much of a bull in a china shop, especially as with the amount of fine pieces his mother owns, she could start a china shop. As a child he played mostly with whatever came to hand: sticks, pebbles, mud, water, seed pods, the whole shebang. He often built fortifications in his mother's vegetable garden and played out battles of the Revolutionary War (in which the British always lost, with no regard for historical accuracy). For a while he also played with a very ugly toad who lived near the cucumber patch, whom he simply called "Toad."

This is why he wasn't the one to name Scipio.

8. What are his thoughts on politics?

Tip has never thought much upon the subject of politics. He is fiercely patriotic, and now fiercely pro-Navy, but the inner workings of the government mean little to him unless they impinge upon either of these things.

9. What is his expected life time?

Well, this is a sneaky question! I'll only say that Tip hopes to have a good long life, but that considering how things are going at present, he may very well not get it.

10. If he were falsely accused of murder, what would he do? How would he react?

He has been, actually, and he responded in a typical Tip Brighton manner: flying into a temper. He was, however, clear-headed enough to actually give a defense of his innocence instead of merely getting angry.

10 comments:

  1. Aw! I love Tip. :) He seems like just the sort of black-sheep I love...I fear for what my husband and sons might end up--I have a shocking soft-spot for those sorts of characters! :D ;) Thanks for giving us a bit more of Tip, and congratulations on nearing the end of The White Sails Shaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Abigail. And I completely agree with Rachel. I like those type of people as well. Congrats on nearing the end of The White Sails Shaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing more about Tip's character... Tip looks like a fun character, both read and I would think to write! That's wonderful that you're nearly finished The White Sails Shaking, Abigail. I'd enjoy reading it, I'm sure =D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls! Tip is rather a black sheep , although perhaps not so much now as he was at the beginning. He has been both difficult and enjoyable to write, but I do love him, despite the trouble he's caused me!

    I can't decide whether I'm more glad or sorry to be approaching the end of The White Sail's Shaking. There's always something melancholy about finishing, even when there is editing to be done. However, I find myself more and more excited at the approach of the last few chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen "Enterprise/ize" spelt like that before- I like it. It looks cool with a z. Is there a particular reason for it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, in the "Naval Documents related to the United States Wars with the Barbary Powers" (grand title, that!) the spelling goes either way, but is more often "Enterprize". So I decided to go the older way. Besides, the z is so little used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, good ol' Tip. I can very much relate with how he goes about taking shock. I'm a bit of the same way, really, if I think about it. My stomach never wants to be steady when I'm surprised.

    Thanks for this snippet into Tip's character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Abigail,

    I've just posted a review for The Soldier's Cross on my blog, Fullness of Joy. Here is the link: http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/soldiers-cross.html

    Blessings,
    ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie - So glad you liked it! I'm fond of Tip now, though I wasn't always, and I enjoy scribbling up these Beautiful People posts. I always end up finding out at least one new thing about the character. (Toad, in this instance.)

    Joy - Thank you! You're very sweet. It's so nice to get feedback from readers; it brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Abigail,

    I know this isn't anything literary or anything, but I have awarded you on my blog! :) http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/sweet-blog-award.html

    God bless,
    ~Joy

    ReplyDelete

 
meet the authoress
I am a writer of historical fiction and fantasy, scribbling from my home in the United States. More importantly, I am a Christian, which flavors everything I write. My debut novel, "The Soldier's Cross," was published by Ambassador Intl. in 2010.
find me elsewhere
take my button

Followers

Follow by Email

published writings






The Soldier's Cross: Set in the early 15th Century, this is the story of an English girl's journey to find her brother's cross pendant, lost at the Battle of Agincourt, and of her search for peace in the chaotic world of the Middle Ages.
finished writings






Tempus Regina:Hurled back in time and caught in the worlds of ages past, a Victorian woman finds herself called out with the title of the time queen. The death of one legend and the birth of another rest on her shoulders - but far weightier than both is her duty to the brother she left alone in her own era. Querying.
currently writing



Wordcrafter: "One man in a thousand, Solomon says / will stick more close than a brother. / And it's worthwhile seeking him half your days / if you find him before the other." Justin King unwittingly plunges into one such friendship the day he lets a stranger come in from the cold. Wordcount: 124,000 words

Bookmarks In...

Search This Blog