February 25, 2013

Beautiful People - Morgaine

pinterest: tempus regina
This weekend, one particularly grueling afternoon's writing session over and yet another chapter complete, saw Tempus Regina cross 100,000 words.  Of course the business now is to try to keep the wordcount down, but it is still momentous, for I can hardly believe I have (more or less) only been writing this story since November.  I'm not, however, going to posit a date for its completion.  That would be the perfect excuse for the story to rise up in laughter and rebellion.

With the two main-est characters already interviewed, I waffled this month on who would be February's Beautiful Person: the rest of the cast is by no means as forthcoming as the Assassin.  As this character is perhaps the third most important, and at the moment the only narrator besides Regina, it seemed natural that she should be somewhat introduced.

morgaine

1. What does she look like?

Morgaine is a bit too pale to be reckoned a great beauty, but her hair, thick and black and not without waves, is a great asset.  She is fine-boned to the point of looking like a wastrel; her chin and mouth are especially narrow and her eyes, well-set and North Sea-grey, are large and uncannily like a cat's.  On the whole, however, she is pretty in a vague, immature way.

2. How old is she?

Morgaine is nineteen or twenty - not far from Regina's own age, but with a young, sheltered air that Regina has never had.

3. In three words, describe her personality.

Giving.  Loyal.  Placid.

4. What is her life's creed?

Ever faithful.  Never forgiving.

5. What element (fire, earth, water or air) best captures her?

She is most fully captured in the element of water - constant, idealistic, and sensitive.  On the other hand, she has ironic streaks of fire and some of the stubbornness of earth.

6. What is her favorite season and type of weather?

If she must be out in it, she has no love for rain; however, if she can be at her own hearthside by the Fisherman's chair, with his arm on her shoulder, she loves a winter gale that shakes the roof and the walls and makes the flames gutter.  She must have warmth - to be cold is to be like the dead - but because her eyes are not strong, she prefers days of thick cloud cover: thin clouds merely reflect the light with a more painful sheen.  Trailing through a fog gives her a sense of secrecy and dominance, and the full moon on a midsummer's night is a good friend.

7. Does she have any habits?

If at all possible, Morgaine washes and brushes her hair every night with a brew of rosemary essence.  When sitting she must always arrange herself tailor-fashion, her ankles tucked up in meditation pose; and when she has found that perfect position, she can stare into the middle distance forever without stirring. 

8. What does she passionately love?

Fire. Warmth.  The moon and moonlight.  Her dignity.  The Dragon. Two men who call her in opposite directions.

9. What does she passionately hate?

Water (ironically) in any form.  The sound of coughing.  Her rival - and the Dragon, because they are linked.

10. If she had a song, what would it be?

"Peasant's Promise" by Blackmore's Night reminds me a little of both her and Regina, but her primary song, also by Blackmore's Night, is certainly "Locked within the Crystal Ball."

fire and water, earth and sky
mysteries surround us, legends never die
they live for the moment, lost in time, I can hear them call
locked within the crystal ball

8 comments:

  1. I like her character and understand the want for cloud cover and fog. One can almost feel safe in the fog, even though familiar places can be disguised to look foreign.
    I'm excited for your story! I really need to finish writing my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fog puts me in mind of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" - eerie moorland and moonlight. It's fascinating and chilling, but I can't say I'm particularly fond of it myself.

      Rachel Heffington posted a section from Jack London that I found solid and practical, particularly this section, and of this section, particularly the last line:

      "Don't dash off a six-thousand-word story before breakfast. Don't write too much. Concentrate your sweat on one story, rather than dissipate it over a dozen. Don't loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club, and if you don't get it you will none the less get something that looks remarkably like it."

      It made me chortle!

      Delete
  2. Morgaine sounds like a right mysterious lady! But intriguing as most characters are when you first meet them, which is one thing I love about meeting new people. You don't know enough about them to make a full study, and therefore your imagination fills in the places words couldn't. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing, you know, but I think I have a good idea of who she is. ;)

    Or perhaps my imagination has gone too far. ;D
    hugs,
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what I love about meeting new fictional characters, and what freaks me out about meeting real people! But I think you're probably not far off the mark in your guesses.

      ...Though naturally I couldn't comment.

      Delete
  3. She is very beautiful, and, as others have said, mysterious. I love that picture of her favorite season and weather - sitting by the hearthside, a winter gale, and a full moon. With all of her rosemary essence, her black hair must have a nice scent to it. :-)

    Well done, Abigail! Once again. :-)

    Fellow Writer,
    Patience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her hair probably does! I don't know if the rosemary does anything practical, but it's her personal brew and she's sticking to it. It certainly hasn't done her hair any harm.

      Delete
  4. Morgaine has the air of beauty and mystery about her that thoroughly intrigues me, Abigail. All your characters seen to have that strong voice and character in them and from simply reading your beautiful people for them my imagination floats high and wide and makes me want to get to read about them so badly...

    Wow, and congratulations on reaching the 100,000 word milestone - that is amazing, considering how recently you started this book! Well done =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think they have a "strong voice," Joy, but they certainly don't present themselves to me like that. It takes a long time for me to wrangle a voice out of them. Sometimes they don't seem to want to talk at all, and it is incredibly irritating. Morgaine's been a tricky one, but the Beautiful People questions always help iron a character out - and I have a "one shot" with her that I really ought to follow my own advice and write. Ho hum!

      Delete

 
meet the authoress
I am a writer of historical fiction and fantasy, scribbling from my home in the United States. More importantly, I am a Christian, which flavors everything I write. My debut novel, "The Soldier's Cross," was published by Ambassador Intl. in 2010.
find me elsewhere
take my button

Followers

Follow by Email

published writings






The Soldier's Cross: Set in the early 15th Century, this is the story of an English girl's journey to find her brother's cross pendant, lost at the Battle of Agincourt, and of her search for peace in the chaotic world of the Middle Ages.
finished writings






Tempus Regina:Hurled back in time and caught in the worlds of ages past, a Victorian woman finds herself called out with the title of the time queen. The death of one legend and the birth of another rest on her shoulders - but far weightier than both is her duty to the brother she left alone in her own era. Querying.
currently writing



Wordcrafter: "One man in a thousand, Solomon says / will stick more close than a brother. / And it's worthwhile seeking him half your days / if you find him before the other." Justin King unwittingly plunges into one such friendship the day he lets a stranger come in from the cold. Wordcount: 124,000 words

Bookmarks In...

Search This Blog