...an update on The Soldier's Cross! For those of you who love those little technological gadgets that would make my eyes bleed out of my head, I'm here to announce that both The Soldier's Cross and The Shadow Things are now available for Kindle downloads from Amazon. Both are only $9.99. You can also read the first chapter of each for free on your computer by checking out the green Kindle gadget over on the right. Or is that a widget? Oh well, you get the idea. You can now cart our novels about on your Kindle, Android, Blackberry, iPod, iPhone, and iDon'tKnowWhatElse, so enjoy!
And now, because it's still June, and because I love these questionnaires, and because poor Scipio has been sadly neglected of late (seeing as I'm editing the beginning sections of White Sail's and he, unfortunately, doesn't arrive until Much Later), I'm doing another Beautiful People Post. These questions have been pulled together by Georgie Penn and Sky:
Once a month Sky and [Georgie] will be posting a list of 10 questions for you to answer about your characters. You can use the same character every month, or choose a new one for each set of questions. Your call. You can answer all the questions, just one, or however many you have the time and energy to answer. Just go for it and have fun.
As with Tip's questionnaire, this one will be a compilation of the questions to date. And so let me introduce you to Scipio, the Barbary macaque.
1. What is your character’s full name?
Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus Africanus Numantinus. Scipio the Younger.
2. Does his name have a special meaning?
With a name that long, you would think it had a special meaning...but it doesn’t.
3. Does your character have a methodical or disorganized personality?
Quite disorganized. Scipio’s favourite pastime is wreaking havoc.
4. Does he think inside himself more than he talks out loud to his friends? (more importantly, does he actually have friends?)
Scipio doesn’t speak, but I’m also not sure he thinks very much.
5. Is there something he is afraid of?
Blood. Scipio is terrified of the sight of blood.
6. Does he write, dream, dance, sing, or photograph?
None of the above, although I would love to see a monkey singing.
7. What is his favorite book? (or genre of book)
The ones that taste the best. He likes that particular dusty taste that old books get, and prefers leather covers to cloth ones. Cloth gets stuck in his throat.
8. Who is his favorite author and/or someone that inspires him?
Those that inspire him to keep going to the back cover.
9. Favorite flavor of ice cream?
Thank goodness, Scipio has never had it; if once he had tasted it, he would probably pine away for lack of it.
10. Favorite season of the year?
It’s all the same to Scipio.
11. How old is he?
Scipio is only a few months old when he comes into the story.
12. What does he do in his spare time?
Tries not to get into trouble, gets into trouble, and tries to look as though he didn’t get into trouble. Story of his life.
13. Does he see the big picture, or live in the moment?
Scipio definitely lives in the moment.
14. Is he a perfectionist?
Yes, he likes his world to be a certain way and gets quite confused when things change.
15. What does his handwriting look like? (round, slanted, curly, skinny, sloppy, neat, decorative, etc)
Well... I should think a monkey’s handwriting would be very sloppy indeed.
16. Favorite animal?
Scipio is fond of the ship’s cat.
17. Does he have any pets?
At least two: Tip and Charlie.
18. Does he have any siblings, how many, and where does he fit in?
Scipio remembers nothing of his family (so touching, isn’t it? I love that angst aspect).
19. Does he have a "life verse" and if so what is it?
Proverbs 12:10—“A righteous man regards the life of his animal, but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.”
20. Favorite writing utensil?
I refer you to number 15.
21. What type of laugh does he have?
Scipio shrieks when amused. It’s quite deafening.
22. Who is his best friend?
23. What is his family like?
We’re sorry, the answer to this question is not available now. This page will redirect to number 18 in five (5) seconds.
24. Is he a Christian, or will he eventually find Jesus?
As he is an animal and has no need of salvation, this question is not applicable.
25. Does he believe in fairies?
I don’t think Scipio has ever heard of fairies, poor dear.
26. Does he like hedgehogs?
If he met one, I have a feeling Scipio would be scared out of his skin.
27. Favorite kind of weather?
Anything without rain. Scipio dislikes rain.
28. Does he have a good sense of humor? If so what kind? (Slapstick, wit, sarcasm, etc.?)
Scipio has a very good sense of humor. He probably has the best sense of humor of anyone in the book.
29. How did he do in school, or any kind of education he might have had?
Scipio is enrolled in the School of Hard Knocks.
30. Any strange hobbies?
Playing with or eating Charlie’s buttons; playing with or eating Charlie’s queue; playing with or eating bugs; playing with or—well, he doesn’t eat the ship’s cat. His life basically revolves around either playing or eating. Or sleeping. But mostly playing or eating.