August 23, 2010

The Ten Levels of Inspiration

K.M. Weiland on her wonderful blog Wordplay wrote a post on the fifteen levels of inspiration that led to her current work in progress, called The Deepest Breath. I couldn't pull out fifteen from the dumps of my memory, but I thought it would be fun to do the same for my work in progress, Wordcrafter.

1. It started with either a nasty headache or a cold, I forget which. Not a promising start, but when one is in pain, it is very easy to be inspired to write about someone else who is in pain; so I tottered upstairs to my computer (which really helped my headache...) and wrote a section about a man who had been attacked by a wolf during a hunt.



2. Which then led to some inspiration arising from this magnificent bit of artwork, done for a book that I have never heard of before.


3. Then there was some inspiration from Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy.












4. Add to that some of the features of the Middle Eastern cultures, including the Arabian horses...











5. Then the rampant illiteracy of the Middle Ages...















6. Then the historical struggle between humans over the color of skin, specifically the antipathy toward Gypsies...



7. Andrew Peterson's song 'Nothing to Say.'









8. The movie Amazing Grace, about abolitionist William Wilberforce, inspired me with some themes...












9. Ceylon tea.










10. Then the friendship of David and Jonathan, which only occurred to me after I had several things in the story that tied into the Biblical account. This is probably the strongest inspiration, as it helped me flesh out the story a good deal.

5 comments:

  1. For number 4, you mentioned middle eastern Cultures, can you share with me what you learned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didn't go very in depth studying them; I just took some of the things I already knew and pulled them into the world I created. I used the custom of having the women veil their faces; the way the Arabs' lives were focused around the raising of horses; and the very central and familial lifestyle. Because of the way I made up the world of Tera, I was able to weave together bits and pieces of several ancient cultures of history to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I love Amazing Grace. Beautiful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it lovely? I read the book by Eric Metaxas, too, and found that the movie isn't entirely accurate and some of the events are switched around chronologically (which is to be expected), but it's still a great movie. Thanks for commenting! I had so much fun remembering these inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^.^! at 7-10, especially the tea one. I really enjoyed seeing this; it's always superb knowing where ideas come from, and now I can see you in the story even more clearly than before, which is awesome.

    Wuv you!

    ReplyDelete

 
meet the authoress
I am a writer of historical fiction and fantasy, scribbling from my home in the United States. More importantly, I am a Christian, which flavors everything I write. My debut novel, "The Soldier's Cross," was published by Ambassador Intl. in 2010.
find me elsewhere
take my button

Followers

Follow by Email

published writings






The Soldier's Cross: Set in the early 15th Century, this is the story of an English girl's journey to find her brother's cross pendant, lost at the Battle of Agincourt, and of her search for peace in the chaotic world of the Middle Ages.
finished writings






Tempus Regina:Hurled back in time and caught in the worlds of ages past, a Victorian woman finds herself called out with the title of the time queen. The death of one legend and the birth of another rest on her shoulders - but far weightier than both is her duty to the brother she left alone in her own era. Querying.
currently writing



Wordcrafter: "One man in a thousand, Solomon says / will stick more close than a brother. / And it's worthwhile seeking him half your days / if you find him before the other." Justin King unwittingly plunges into one such friendship the day he lets a stranger come in from the cold. Wordcount: 124,000 words

Bookmarks In...

Search This Blog